Monday, November 24, 2014

The Christmas Song Book Tag

This tag was made by Hails Hearts NYC on youtube (click here for the original video). In a nutshell, she took the titles of popular christmas songs and made a general book related question out of them. I really like the tag she created and so, even though I haven't been tagged by anyone to do it, I'm going to do it anyway :P So here are the song she chose:

1) "You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch" - Name a villainous character you couldn't help but love.

For reasons unknown to even myself, I usually tend to like the villainous characters in books and thus had a lot of options to choose from for this question. However, I just had to pick Bellatrix Lestrange from Harry Potter. Bellatrix is by far one of my favourite characters in the series, so much so that I was actually quite upset when she died in the last book (Sorry if you haven't read it yet but, I mean come on! Who hasn't at least seen the last Harry Potter movie yet!). I also have a mad crush on Helena Bonham Carter so that might be another reason why I like the character so much!

2)"All I Want For Christmas Is You" - Which book do you most hope to see under your Christmas tree this year?

If I only get one book this year for Christmas I hope it's The World of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin! I am a huge Game of Thrones fan and I've recently just finished the most recent book in A Song of Ice and Fire. I'm hoping I get this book for christmas to keep me going until TheWinds of Winter is finally released. Besides it's such a beautiful book with the most amazing illustrations throughout!

3)"Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer" - Name a character that overcomes major obstacles and learns to believe in themselves.

I'm not entirely sure if I'm correct in saying this, as it's been so long since I've read the book, but I'm pretty sure Elphaba from Wicked overcomes many great obstacles throughout her life. She is constantly judged and ridiculed due to her green skin but in spite of all that she goes on to be a powerful (and somewhat infamous) witch. So that counts, right?

4)"Santa Clause is Coming to Town" - a) Which character do you think is at the top of the naughty list an b) which character do you think is at the top of the nice list?

a)Joffrey Baratheon from A Song of Ice and Fire. Has there ever been a more annoying, evil little twerp as Joffrey?
b) For this answer I decided to carry on with A Song of Ice and Fire and picked Rickon Stark. Rickon is just an innocent little boy so far in the series and he just does no wrong. Plus I feel so bad for him and think he deserves so many nice presents to ease the pain he's had to endure at such a young age.

5)"Frosty the Snowman" - Which book just melts your heart?

I couldnt find any book that melts my heart so I'm going to have to skip this question.

6)"Feliz Navidad" - Pick a book that takes place in a country other than your own.

I'm pretty sure I haven't read any books set in Ireland yet so I could pick pretty much any book I've ever read for this. However, I've decided I'm also going to avoid America and the United Kingdom for this question as I feel a fair amount of my books take place in these countries. So I'm going to pick The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller which is set in Ancient Greece.

7)"It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" - Which Christmas book do you use to spread the Christmas joy.

I have yet to read any Christmas books so again I'm going to have to skip this question.

8)"Sleigh Ride" - Which character would you choose to spend the holidays with?

I would love to spend the holidays with the Weasley Family from Harry Potter. I feel like Mrs. Weasley could cook a wicked Christmas feast and there's a good possibility I'd get a knitted sweater with a giant "G" on it.

9)"Baby It's Cold Outside" - which book, that you didn't like, would you sacrifice to a fire to warm yourself up in the cold?

Animal Farm by George Orwell! No matter how hard I tried to enjoy this book I just felt so utterly bored and I was so glad to finally finish it. I say let it BURN!!!

10)"Do You Hear What I Hear?" - Which book do you think everyone should read?

I would love it if more people read The Book of Lost things by John Connolly. While I only gave it 4 stars when I read it I still thought it was an amazing book that offered both an original and exciting fantasy story along with a fresh, sinister look on the classic fairytales we have all has grown up with. From an overweight and cranky Snow White to a zoophilic Red Riding Hood I just couldn't stop laughing at the alternative spin Connolly puts on these stories. I definitely think anyone with an interest in fairytales should give this book a try.

So those are my choices for The Christmas Song Book Tag and I tag anyone that wants to do this tag to do it. Also, make sure you check out the original video (link above). Thanks :)

3 comments: